Sunday 16 April 2017

My B-day Dress

Or... a Bathroom Dress. What a strange name for a dress. The story is when we found our new home last year, we were pretty excited by everything in it, except for the colors in the bathrooms - green and violet combination in one and turquoise and violet in the other. In the beginning, we wanted to repaint them or just DO something with it, but we ended up getting used to that and it is not a priority anymore. I even found bathroom rugs which go perfectly with the bathroom turquoise - thank you Ikea! And yes, this dress matches perfectly our bathroom.

I rarely sew for specific occasions. More often I just sew a dress and then the right occasion occurs for the first outing of the new dress. And this was exactly the case of my birthday dress. Basically I wanted to reproduce the same dress I made for mast x-mas, but in a lighter and more colorful fabric - it is a very comfy and versatile dress so I figured I needed one for spring.

The fabric comes from my Malaysian batch (which is getting thinner and thinner) and it is quite a change from my usual brown-red-orange color combination. It is a very fine silk which under some angle was even transparent. In addition, it has the terrible tendency to stick to your legs - not quite the needed effect for this kind of dress. I lined it with a very fine black silk which has exactly the same problem and it worked magic: the fabrics ended up sticking to each other so it is like they have become one "normal" fabric which behaves correctly.

As for the pattern - it is just a copy of this dress (which itself is a copy of an old RTW :o). I think this time I made the skirt slightly longer, just in case.. Apart from that, nothing special to add. I put a small elastic in the waist, as well as to the sleeve finish. I stabilized the neckline area with some silk organza which worked pretty well.

The dress is a quick make: the only challenge is not to overstretch the neckline and sew together both layers in order to form the waist casing for the elastic.

As already said, the dress was first worn on my birthday evening and we even had time to take some pictures. I must say that it was a very appropriate outfit since we went to an amazing Indian restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment