Saturday 21 March 2020

Yellow Tencel Dress

So yes, the world is getting crazy right now, but I do not want to talk about it too much. I am lucky enough to be able to work 100% from home, so I just stay home, stay safe and keep sewing. It is keeping me occupied and busy and that is what matters. I started a 30-day fitness challenge and got a few colleagues and friends on board as well, I also have a lot of past sewing projects to photograph and publish.
And most importantly, I have a 90m stash, so I can keep sewing for some time :) At the moment I am working through a mid-season coat from a gorgeous black wool/linen with a lot of very satisfying handsewing (the fabric frays like crazy and it keeps things clean on the inside), but it will still take me a few days to finish.

So for the moment, I have a new dress to share, hahahah, what a surprise. I bought this fabric just because I liked the colour (and was ordering something else) and wanted to see what tencel feels like. The final colour is slightly more orange that what I was hoping for but I still like it. It is wayyy too much colour than what I am used to but it is not such a bad idea to have something cheerful in my wardrobe. Also, I must say, that I quite like the feel of the fabric. It is not so luxurious as silk, but also feels better than simple viscose, so it was not such a bad purchase.

However I struggled to find the right pattern for it. I knew I wanted to have something flowy, maybe with a few frills and an elasticated waist. In the end, I based the dress on Knipmode 05/27, and added little pleats inspired by the Tilly Mathilde blouse.
I also lined the skirt part because I do not trust the tencel enough and hate skirts sticking to my thighs.

As for my first sewing with tencel, I was quite pleased, the fabric behaved better than viscose and did not stretched too much.

Looking at the pictures I might style it differently in spring, probably, the black thighs are way too much of a contrast.
In the end, it makes for a cute cheerful and comfy dress so a win for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment