Sunday 21 January 2018

X-mas sewing - Part II.

X-mas is now entirely over and I can publish the second batch of me-made gifts.

The first one is a silk kimono I sewed for my mum. Last year, she was disappointed, as my sister got a new dress and she nothing, so this year she had some as well. The challenge is that we are not of the same size and it is rather difficult to guestimate her size on distance.
Then I had the idea of sewing a kimono for her - I have seen so many of them this year and liked the idea of a silk colourful one. Then I found this violet silk fabric in my stash (Malaysia, 2 years ago) and there were no more doubts.

I did not use any commercial pattern, just tutos on Pinterest and I used all of my fabric. All the seams are French-seamed and I used a piece of the remnant to do a little double-facing. The sleeves' hem is just a fabric selvedge, so I left it off as such.


It looks little weird on myself, as I am slightly smaller than my mum, but on her it was quite cool actually and definitely her colours.

The last gift I sewed is this kind of cape-sweater for my sister. It is Burda 120-12/2016 pattern I bought separately and loved since I first saw it. However, when I sewed the muslin (in the smallest size), it was more than oversized. I think I had to take away 7-8cm on each side and on the length as well.


I used some wool crepe which is a little more flowy than the recommended bouclé but works perfectly as well. There is nothing special to say about theused techiques, I used large French seams and hand stitched the hems, it was a quick and very cool make.

No comments:

Post a Comment