Tuesday 25 May 2021

An Old Remnant

 Do I need yet another summer dress: probably not. Is this fabric suitable for one: definitely yes. So I am sewing one. This grey cotton satin was actually line 1 of my stash excel, so the oldest fabric bought and still not sewn. 

Also, I already have an autumn dress in this fabric, so I wanted to avoid 2 of them. But a summer one, that could definitely work. The only thing bothering me was the weight of this fabric: it is a fine satin and actually has no weight and creases easily. I remember having to interface it with a voile on my autumn version. I decided to wing it and just make a simple fit and flare dress.

I used the bodice from Burda 108-03/2011 and a plied rectangle for the skirt. Pattern matching was a pain, because the fabric is not 100% printed on the grain. Also, I stupidly decided to match the little points on the bodice back, and fortunately did not match on the skirt (cheating little bit probably). I lined the bodice with a little piece of silk which I saved from some other project.

No further difficulties, some nice handsewing and a new summer dress is born. And one of the oldest fabrics (2014) is finally used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment