Friday, 25 July 2014

Vacation Sewing Progress: Black Top

I had a rest of cotton-silk black muslin crying at me from my stash. I had used it as a dress lining but with mitigated results, it is very smooth against the skin, but does not have a great drape. However, I thought I would use the muslin for a summer top. In order to get rid of the transparency, I double-layered the fabric and must admit that the silk gives it a very nice glance.


I used a Simplicity 51-02/2014 which was quite simple and quick to sew. No big adjustments, the neckline is gathered together with an elastic band and covered by the fabric. I used French seams everywhere, as even on the double layer, it does not bulk.


Strangely, I considered this fabric slippery when sewing the simple layer as a lining, doubled it was obeying like a simple cotton.

The top was ready in one afternoon, so I could wear it the other day. And it feels so nice on. In the meantime, I managed to buy some more of this fabric, in dark blue and dark brown.


Inspiration: use the remaining fabric
Pattern: Simplicity 51-02/2014
Pattern changes: sleeves are not gathered, top narrowed by 3 cm
Fabric: black cotton-silk
Notions: gathering
Time to Complete: 1 afternoon
Total Cost: 11 EUR

First Worn: June 2014

No comments:

Post a comment