I just realized that I have not blogged for almost 3 months. What happened – not much. It all started with a crazy sewing period before my vacation when I was trying to finish some silk tops and a dress, 3 weeks of a great holiday in South-East Asia and then somehow work and daily life got over. I went back to sewing but was too exhausted to find time for blogging.
So, let’s just have a look at my last summer make before I get to present my latest creations. I bought this dark leopard silk at the beginning of the year and …. Was certainly NOT thinking enough … made a summer top from it, first. Which means that I ended up with about 90cm of the fabric trying to squeeze out a summer dress afterwards. Mental note: think before cutting and do the dress first.
Anyhow, I used Burda 134-05/2013 which is a nice vintag-y dress without sleeves and I had already tested it last year (never blogged about, because I never wore it). This time I tried to avoid the mistakes, such as adjusting the cleavage and armscyes on the last minute.
The dress is made from quite a slippery silk, with the upper part lined – I realized it was a cleaner solution than any bias binding or whatever finish I could imagine.
I finished the dress 2 days before the departure and I was so glad I did. The dress was just perfect for the hot and humid weather in Singapore and Malaysia, it felt like wearing nothing, or almost nothing.
Unfortunately, I do not have any dress form pictures, and it is now packed with all my summer clothes, so at least a few of me wearing it (with a different décor than my balcony).
Even though I love looking at my vacation pictures and remembering how hot it was over there, the autumn is officially here and I digged out all the wool fabric which is such a pleasure to sew with after all the slippery silk tops.
Inspiration: Burda vintage dress
Pattern changes: shortened shoulder
Fabric: dark leopard silk
Time to Complete: a week
Total Cost: 19 EUR