I am quite late on posting on the blog, as December was a pretty hectic month, so I did not have much time to take pictures of this make. In addition, the blue/black difference is almost impossible to see in pictures taken inside. On the other hand I can already say that the dress was already worn many times.
I was quite inspired by my last success on the 60s line, so I went straightly for another one. The pattern is a vintage re-edition – Simplicity 3833. And again, I am not disappointed by the result.
The dress was also a great opportunity to use up many remnants:
It is sewn from dark blue and black suiting fabric which is stiff without being uncomfortable and holds the form perfectly.
The lining is from different remnants of black silk of different brilliance and weight between the bodice and the skirt, probably not the best thing to do, but it works.
So yeah for using up the small pieces from stash!
The only thing I did not like with the pattern is the fact that they propose to cut the front in different colours while the back is in one color. I decided to cut the back in two as well. I was long ruminating about whether to make it blue-black or black-blue, in the end, I figured out that I needed to use up more of the blue fabric and cut it from blue.
What to say more: I am very happy with this dress, the fit (without a muslin), the fabric choice, the finish, the perfection of my sewing when matching the seams, and I am pretty sure I will be sewing a summer version of this pattern.
The outside pictures are from our trip to Malta, from a day when it was so nice and sunny, I could have walked only with my dress the whole day.
Pattern: Simplicity 3833
Pattern changes: shoulder-sleeves, two-color back
Technique: topstitching (just to say there is a technique necessary)
Fabric: black and dark-blue suiting wool
Time to Complete: a week
Total Cost: 31 EUR