Saturday 1 October 2016

The Quickest Make... EVER

I still cannot believe it, I did sew a top in about 2 hours, cutting included. It was Friday evening, staying home, I just fished a small piece of black silk from my stash (of which I have a certain amount, because you know, I wear a lot of black and you never have enough black tops), cut out this extremely simple Burda 125-08/2016 bow top and got it ready before I went to bed.

I admit I tend to sew rather complicated pieces, I focus on lined dresses a lot, and tend to neglect separates. So anytime I sew one, it is a surprise for me that a sewing project can be easily finished within a week-end.


Also, I made things simple here: there are like 4 seams on this top, all of them frenched, and a lot of borders which I baby-hemmed. No closing, yeah! Easy peasy, all done on a machine, not a single handstitch. As for the fitting, I just compared the pattern quickly against another already sewn top and that was it. The pattern should be sewn from jersey, whereas I used a simple non-stretchy woven, so I also omitted the bottom hem as I did not see any utility for it.

The best thing is that I really like the result: yes, it is a large top, yes, I do not have to overfit everything and yes, it might move over to one shoulder some time, but that is perfectly fine. I have another black top for next summer.

Inspiration: August Burda
Pattern: Burda 128-08/2016
Pattern changes: omitted bottom hem
Technique: baby hem
Fabric: black silk
Time to Complete: 2 hours
Total Cost: 6 EUR

No comments:

Post a Comment