Sunday 9 June 2019

Another Episode of Baby Sewing

And again, it was great fun. This time, I wanted a gift for the two sons of my cousin: 6 months and a 2 years old. Which meant two big challenges :
- choose the right fabrics, as I do not have tons of really boy-fabrics in my remnants
- find cute boy patterns - I was rather surprised how very little there are. I went through all my Burdas (I might have 20 of them) and only found 1-2 patterns for boys of this age category.

Yes, I would also use the Burda body and trousers patterns I bought before X-mas (Burda 9347 and 9340). In the end, I bought a baby version of Ottobre to have some more choice.


I then spent an afternoon on whatsapp with my mum deciding on colour combinations. Originally, I wanted to make a body and pinafore trousers for the little one and a t-shirt and the same trousers for his big brother, but I did not have enough fabric for the second pair, so I switched to some normal ones from Ottobre.


Also, I wanted them to work as an ensemble. For the little one, I decided on this violet milano jersey for the body and a deep green linen for the trousers. I bought a cute green fat quarter for the "decorations" and bias binding and buttons with the similar pattern (the fabric has little dots, the buttons little stars).

I think the light green really makes it work together and I totally love the combination.

For the older one, we chose yellow milano for a t-shirt (decorated with some vichy binding) and grey trousers. I must say I really liked the details on this pattern: there is elastic on the waist, but you sew a faux fly anyhow, the braces and the braces' fix.
I used some vichy cotton remnant for the waist lining and for the trousers' hem.

So again, two cute sets of baby clothes, proving that even sewing for boys can be fun. When are the next coming?

No comments:

Post a Comment