Sunday 16 May 2021

Decisions, Decisions

I was having a month of indecisions. I pulled out fabrics from my stash, checked the patterns, matched them and then hesitated and changed my plan again. Pulled out some other fabric, found a new pattern and waited some more. In the end, nothing was happening on the sewing front and my fabrics continued to wait. 

I decided I had to change the strategy, because obviously, my wishlist strategy was not working anymore, I still had a few to-sew items there which would not be worn before October. 

I took my stash excel (yes, I have that and it is the best thing in the world for keeping me in check) and assigned a project to any fabric suiting the coming seasons (spring and summer). It resulted in 20m of fabric to be assigned to a project which is a quarter of my current stash. Now, I just had to start from the top, i.e. with the oldest fabrics.

So I did not start from the top but from the bottom, but never mind, it somehow worked and I got to sew things and I love the results, so that is the most important I guess.

I actually used one of the newest additions to stash which was kid of an internet shopping error. While I like the grey flowery fabric, it seems washed out in real life and I also only had a meter, as I planned to use it for a shirt. The problem is that it has quilting cotton weight so obviously not very suited for a simple shirt.

But a shirtdress... that might work. And it did! I pulled out the already tested Butterick 6333, chose the version without sleeves (because I did not have enough fabric) and narrow skirt (obviously the same reason and also, the fabric weight), no pockets and no belt (did I say I only had one meter?) and whipped it up in no time. Actually, not having to do a muslin helped and I knew that the dress was going to fit alright.

Obviously, this dress needs a lot of buttons, so I opened my magic button box convinced that I was not going to buy any and I found a set of perfectly grey buttons coming from my grandmother stash. They just blend in SO WELL, I cannot believe it.

The dress finished I tried it on and I am loving it. I cannot understand why I hesitated so much with this fabric. It only confirmed me one thing: I need to get more fabrics from my stash to my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment